The Language of Love, Lust, Sex
and All the Many-Splendored Things in Between in Teenspeak - Jockspeak - Menglish - Slanglish - Spanglish
Gaylese - Americanese - Britspeak - Ozslang - Funetic
Populo-Vulgar Speech - T-Shirt & Net Shorthand
Pompo-Verbosity & other Figurative Lingos
four-letter word / 4-letter word:
(1) Swear word of a sexual or scatological nature. They are mostly Anglo-Saxon in origin and were once everyday words: arse, cock, crap, cunt, fart, frig, fuck, piss, quim, shit, turd, twat.
QUOTE-1: 'Fuck is one of a group of well-known four letter words, all Anglo-Saxon, or Old English, in origin, that are uncomplicated, easy to pronounce, and monosyllabic.' Alan Richter. The Language of Sexuality (1987)
QUOTE-2: 'Sex is a three-letter word which needs some old-fashioned four-letter-words to convey its full meaning.' Anonymous
QUOTE-3: 'Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain unless you've used up all the other four-letter-words. ' W.C. Fields as quoted by Carlotta Monti in W.C. Fields & Me (1971)
QUOTE-4: Lorelei Lee (Marilyn Monroe) in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953):
- Lorelei: 'You're one of the Olympic athletes, aren't you?'
- Athlete: 'One of them? Sister, I'm the only Four Letter Man on the team.'
- Lorelei: 'I should think you'd be ashamed to admit it.'
(2) By extension, any word or subject regarded as taboo by one person, a group, or by society. Examples: Work is a 4-letter word. Unix is a four-letter-word .
QUOTE-1: 'It seems to me that if there were any logic to our language, trust would be a four letter word.' Joel Goodson (Tom Cruise) in Risky Business (1983)
QUOTE-2: 'Can't is a four letter word.' Tony Morales (Dan Ferro) in Sgt. Bilko (1996)
QUOTE-1: 'Love is a phwoarrr letter word.' Anonymous
QUOTE-2: Love Is Just A Four-Letter Word, title of a song by Bob Dylan (1967).
QUOTE-3: 'Is God a three-letter word for love? Is love a four-letter-word for God?' Duke Ellington.
QUOTE-4: 'You don't know what love is. To you, it's just another four-letter-word .' Brick Pollit (Paul Newman) to his father Big Daddy (Burl Ives) in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
See Also: TARFU, four-letter word / 4-letter word, 4-letter word / four-letter word, four-letter euphoria, F**K, feck, George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words, phuque / PhuQue,
Dictionary of Sexual Terms - 24150 terms and expressions, 3500 quotes, 47000 synonyms
Dictionary of the F-Word - 865 terms and expressions 200 quotes, 2200 synonyms
Copyright © 2012 Technobusiness Ltd.