come out:1. Or: come-out-of-the-closet , to declare openly one's homosexuality ; to live true to one's sexuality.
Synonyms: accept one's sexuality; (be) brought-out ; discover-one's-gender ; drop-one's-beads ; drop-one's-hairpins ; go-public ; jump-out-of-the-closet ; jump-out-with-both-feet ; lay-it-out ; learn-a-new-way ; to out ; reveal one's homosexuality ; reveal being gay ; show-one's-true-colors ; tell-the-folks ; wear-one's-badge .
See also: be-outed ; wear-a-cut-glass-veil ; wear-a-mourning-veil ; stay-in-the-closet .
(1) Bruce Rodgers (?): ' He's a natural... he came out the day he was born .'
(2) R. Reisner. Graffiti. Two Thousand Years of Wall Writing : ' Better latent than never. '
4. To bring one's secret beliefs or practices into the open. In Practical Magic (1999), Sally (Sandra Bullock), whom has always been suspected of being a witch, calls 13 women to form a coven and the word goes out : ' Sally just came out .' And this is considered: ' A fabulous affirmation .'
5. To discover or accept one's penchant for sadomasochism; to acknowledge one's deviant sexual feelings.
Quote: Sabra Cameron (Frances Dee) in Wheel of Fortune (1941): ' One of our debs. She's coming-out next week .'
See Also: pink tea, sexual detrition
Link to this page:
- comarital sex
- combing the brush
- combo, a
- come about
- come across
- come aloft
- come around
- come out of confinement
- come out of the closet
- come out to oneself
- come over
- come stain
- come the turkey
- come through the front door
- come through the side door
- come together
- come your fat