make up:1. Or: kiss-and-make-up / kiss-and-be-friends , to resolve a quarrel; to become reconciled; to become friends/lovers again; to renew friendship/relationship after a feud.
SYNONYMS: agree to differ/disagree; be ready to forgive; be reconciled; be friendly ; bury the hatchet; come to an understanding; extend the hand of forgiveness; fix things up ; forgive and be friends again; kiss-and-be-friends ; let bygones be bygones; make-it up ; mediate; mitigate; patch things up ; reconciliate; restore harmony; shake hands; start over; wipe the slate clean .
(1) Cherry (Margaret Sullavan) and Anthony (Henry Fonda) in The Moon's Our Home (1936):
-- Cherry Chester: ' Wait a minute. Have I told you about my temper? '
-- Anthony Amberton: ' I've had complaints about mine .'
-- Cherry Chester: ' We'll fight every day .'
-- Anthony Amberton: ' We'll make up every night .'
-- Cherry Chester: ' I'll leave you over and over again .'
-- Anthony Amberton: ' I'll always find you .'
(2) Bake/Baker (Fred Astaire) and Sherry (Ginger Rogers) in Follow the Fleet (1936):
-- Baker: ' It's swell being with you again. Friends? '
-- Sherry: ' Friends .'
-- Baker: ' Let's kiss-and-make-up .'
-- Sherry: ' No, let's just make up . That will give you something to work for .'
2. Or: makeup , cosmetics; to apply cosmetics.
(1) Stand-up comic Buddy Young, Jr. (Billy Crystal) to a heavily made up lady in an audience of senior citizens in Mr. Saturday Night (1992): ' It's lovely makeup . Who put it on? The Ringling Brothers? Looks like an opera broke out on your face . You got too close when the Avon lady exploded? '
See Also: amatorial, amatory pleasures, banns, bans, bird song, breather, cecum condom, cockbiter, crotch rope, dermagraphism, dolled up, fence painting, fifi bag, FUBAR, gyno shot, horn work, It's not the bull they're afraid of, it's the calf, jizzer, m-and-g track, making bishops, oscula me, poon light, pop shot, proof shot, screamplay, scum dump, Snafu, stickspin, suck, fuck, tickle balls and rim, three-way woman, tropophobia, up and down, wad sop, zine
Link to this page:
- make oneself comfortable
- make out
- make out with
- make pee-pee
- make piggies
- make scissors
- make sheep's eyes
- make silly with the Willy
- make smacky-lips
- make someone
- make water
- make waves (for the boy-in-the-boat)
- make wee-wee
- make whoopee
- make wind
- make with child
- make-out artist
- making a banana spit