love at first sight:A strong and immediate attraction to another person based on physical attractiveness, sex-appeal , physical arousal, or romantic circumstances.
(1) George (Roland Young) meeting Nell Kenner (Leila Hyams) in Ruggles of Red Gap (1935):
-- George: ' I say, do you believe in-love at first sight? '
-- Nell: ' No. Do you? '
-- George: ' No. That's why I'd like to stay for a while, if you don't mind .'
(6) Alexander Midnight (Fisher Stevens) to Amanda (Sandra Bullock) in When the Party's Over (1991): ' When I saw you earlier I knew that we had been together before. That's what love at first sight is. It's a reconnection of two old entertwined souls .'
(7) Don-Juan (Johnny Depp) describes his love for Dona Ana (Geraldine Paililas) in Don-Juan DeMarco (1994): ' There are those who do not believe that a single soul born in heaven can split into twin spirits and shoot like falling stars to earth where over oceans and continents their magnetic forces will finally unite them back into one. But how else to explain love at first sight? '
(8) Ed Walters (Tim Robbins) after falling in-love at first sight of Catherine Boyd (Meg Ryan) in I.Q. (1994): ' You wouldn't believe it . I looked at her, she looked at me, and it happened. You could feel it . It was like death, but in a good way .'
(9) Robin (Cary Elwes) and Marian (Amy Yasbeck) in Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993):
-- Robin: ' Maid Marian, do you believe in-love at first sight? '
-- Marian: ' Depends on what you're looking at .'
(10) On their first meeting, both Douglas Hall (Craig Bierko) and Jane Fuller (Gretchen Mol) have a feeling of déja vu in The Thirteenth Floor (1999): ' They say that déja vu is usually a sign of love at first sight .'
(11) Humorously defined by Louis J. Safian in An Irreverent Dictionary of Love and Marriage (1966) as: ' A time-saver; but lots of married people wish they had wiped their glasses for a good second look .'
See Also: ache for, agape, agapism, all shaky-shivery, Amantium irae, amoris integratio est, amatory, amelotasis, amour fou, amour socratique, amputation fetish(ism), amputee fetish(ism), antholagnia, apple of one's eye, attachment, batty about, be crazy about, be cuckoo over, be gone on, be goofy about, be hot for, be infatuated with, be swept off one's feet, beat of one's heart, beloved, blind love, calf love, caritas, carry off one's feet, carrying a torch, cause of causes, clap eyes on, clap one's eyes on, click right off the bat, con amore, coup de foudre, cracked on, cream in one's coffee, crush, Cupid dances on his/her eyelids, Cupids cramp, darlink, dead nuts on, dear one, dizzy over, dollink, eternal wound, the, fall in a big way, fall in love (with), far gone on, feel that way, flip over for, go overboard, gone case, gooey over, grande passion, have affection for, have one's heart doing back flips, have one's heart doing flip-flips, have that funny feeling, have the miseries, have the tremors, heart's desire, heart-stricken, heartthrob, hubba-hubba, in deep, in up to the eyes, in up to the gills, ischolagny, lay eyes on, lay one's eyes on, light of one's eyes, light of one's life, light-o'-love, light-of-love, lose one's heart, lose the old head over, love at first blush, love at first sight, love favor, love life, love of one's life, the, love philter, love potion, love's fruits, loved one, lovee, lovelorn, lovesick, mal d'amour, miseries, the, mixoscopia, moon-eyed, moonstruck, moony about, moony for, moony over, object of one's affection, one and only, one's everything, one's own, one's weakness, onliest, perpetual emotion, philophobia, philter, pulse accelerator, pulse upperer, puppy love, roses and raptures, set eyes on, set one's cap for, set one's eyes on, short eyeballs, Si vis amari, ama, silly about, soft spot, softening of the hearters, sweetheart, swept off one's feet, taken with, tent pole, tenth word in a telegram, that certain gleam in one's eyes, torch carrier, triangle, Tristan, truelove, twirl, up to the ears in love, voomish, wacky about, wolf whistle
Link to this page:
- lose the last round
- lose the match and pocket the stakes
- lose the old head over
- lost her cherry
- lost her honor
- lost lady
- lost sex